· Is used for document, organize and store functual information on a topic.
· Is used to classify and describe the phenomena of the world.
· To talk about a whole class af things, eg bikes, plants, animals, phone, etc.
Examples: news report, science reports, weather reports.
· General classification: tells what the phenomena under discussion is.
· Description: describes the phenomena in terms of part, qualities, habits or behaviors.
Languange Features :
· Generalized participants: a whole class of things (volcanoes, neswpaper, the royal family)
· Action verbs/ material process.
· Simple present tense.
· Languange for defining, classifiying, comparing, contrasting (are called, belong to, can be classified as, are similiar to, are more power than).
· May contain tehnical vocabulary.
· In writtern in a formal and objective style.